19/04/27, stage 71, Windhoek to Weissenfels Camp

Today we started our 3 day stretch to Sesriem through the Namibian desert. And our first three days back on dirt road. I’m still pretty tired of last week’s rides though. Two rest days havn’t allowed me to recover as much as I would have liked. Partially that’s my own fault, because I packed my two rest days with stuff to do and a party that ended way to late. But besides that my nose and my throat have a hart time adjusting to the dry dusty desert climate, meaning that I didn’t sleep to well for the last three days.

I think that my body knows that this trip is slowly comming to an end and says: why don’t end it a little sooner? My body is done with the continuously burning sun, making my lips hurt and my skin itch. It’s done with the continuous supply of junk food and sodas that I’ve been on, making my mouth and tongue hurt, but also making me feel hungry all the time without really having an appetite. My body is done with the long days in the saddle, making my bum and other lower regions hurt. Riding your bike for four months on a TDA schedule is probably not the most healthy thing to do... It’s still an amazing experience though, and we’re not done yet! Including today, we have 14 riding days left...

We left Windhoek this morning over tarmac, but after 20k we hit the hills and the gravel. After we hit the gravel I got concerned a bit however, because it felt like someone was pulling me back, which is not a good thing if you have 1000k of gravel road in front of you. It took about 5k to get accustomed to the gravel again and after that it was just fun! My bike is made for these roads. Nevertheless it was a tough day, 124k with 1200 meters of climbing. However the hills also meant that we got some stunning views over the desert and the mountains, which distracted me from the relatively slow pace. 

All in all a very nice day, despite the fatique, the hunger and the hurting lips, mouth, nose and throat. I’m currently lying in my tent watching the stars. There is no moon or nearby city to polute the sky with light and the humidity is very low, allowing for a very clear sky. The body might be done, and even the mind is ready to go back home and invest some time in family and friends, but I am going to miss these days...

Only 13 riding days left. In three weeks time i’m home again...


Leaving Windhoek, the desert and the hills are waiting for us at the horizon...


Morning sun lighting up the hills...


Entering the hills...


Pete at the top of our first Namibian dirt road climb...


Great view over the desert and the mountains...


It’s nice to see where the road is going!


Amd it’s nice to have great scenery again...


Tom admiring the view from the top of the hill. It’s very quiet here...


And this road continues for some 875k after today...